Good morning, everyone.
Hope you had a great weekend. If this is your first time reading, thanks for joining us and feel free to pass us along to whomever you think might also enjoy the newsletter.
If you're not signed up yet, you can do so here.
📰 Today's Front Pages
A quick look at this morning's front pages so you know what you're supposed to be mad about.
- Reuters: From zippers to glass, shortages of basic goods hobble U.S. economy (Read)
- New York Times: Most Schools Do Not Yet Meet Biden’s Demand for Testing and Vaccines (Read)
- Wall Street Journal: Stock Futures Point to Indexes Rebounding (Read)
- Fox News: Trump says Dems 'disparaged' COVID-19 vaccine while he was president: 'Now they wonder why' some are hesitant (Read)
- CNN: Trump is showing just how divisive a new White House run would be (Read)
- NPR: The Federal Government Sells Flood-Prone Homes To Often Unsuspecting Buyers, NPR Finds (Read)
- Breitbart: Manchin Says Ocasio-Cortez Attacks ‘Just Awful’ — ‘Continue to Divide, Divide, Divide’ (Read)
- HuffPost: Larry Elder Spoke At A Conference With White Nationalist Kyle Chapman (Read)
💰 Money Moves
- U.S. Stock Market Faces Risk of Bumpy Autumn, Wall Street Analysts Warn (WSJ) Investors have pushed the S&P 500 to 54 record closes in 2021. How high can Icarus fly?
- ESG vs. Smart Investing (NR) Turns out, when given the option, people prefer to make more money: "Would you rather your money manager optimize your income, or the environment with your IRA? You can only pick one. 95 percent responded, 'My income.' 5 percent responded 'The environment.'"
- The Stock Market Fails a Breathalyzer (WSJ) Beyond Meat, with pea protein, is worth more than the global market for peas.
- Harvard University Will Stop Investing In Fossil Fuels After Years Of Public Pressure (NPR) Others choose to forgo the "woke" companies.
- How the pandemic turned humble shipping containers into the hottest items on the planet (CNN)
🍯 From the Land of Newsom and the Abyss
- Newsom’s Strategy for California Recall: It’s Me or the Abyss (NYT) Newsom reportedly campaigning with Cthulhu.
🌦 Climate Faux Pas
- Star of the Munich Auto Show? The Push for Faster Electrification (WSJ) Do consumers actually want electric vehicles or are they simply a novelty? In other electric car news, a YouTuber reviews the latest update to Tesla's self-driving software. A long way to go.
- Why we can’t rely on wind power (Spiked) The UK’s wind turbines produced so little power this week that coal is having to fill the gap. Once again, renewable energy has let us down. Thank God coal was there to save us this time.
📏 Megan Podsiedlik checks in with Noble's Beer Hall & Kitchen to see how they weathered the pandemic and the challenges they face (Read)
In case you missed it
- Tell Them Phil Valentine Said, “Hey” by Jerod Hollyfield (Read)
- Total Recall: California’s September election by Jerod Hollyfield (Read)
- Entourage's Last Stand by Jerod Hollyfield (Read)
- 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' and the Evergreen Ills of American Politics by Jerod Hollyfield (Read)
- TennCare waiver faces mostly opposition in federal comment period (Homepage)
- Metro Council bill aims to rein in Lower Broadway's party vehicles (Post)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific confirms new operations hub in Lebanon with 1,400 jobs (Biz Journal)
- Charlotte Pike Mapped (Pt. 1) – What Development Mixes Can Increase WeGo Ridership & Reduce Car Trips. (Now Next)
💀 Grateful Monday ft Hooteroll? @ Acme, 7p, FREE (Info) Covers of the Dead, The Band, Bob Dylan, and more.
🎞 The Card Counter @ Belcourt, 8:20p, $11 (Info) The revenge thriller tells the story of an ex-military interrogator turned gambler who’s haunted by the ghosts of his past decisions, and features riveting performances from stars Oscar Isaac, Tiffany Haddish, Tye Sheridan and Willem Dafoe.
- The Tennessee Whiskey Renaissance (Scene)
- ✅ Covid vaccine passports scrapped for winter by Boris Johnson (The Times)
- Fauci: No ‘Firm Answer’ on Why Americans Who Recovered From COVID-19 Should Get Vaccinated (Epoch Times)
- Appeals court sides with DeSantis, reinstating Florida's ban on school mask mandates (CBS News)
- NY hospital to pause baby deliveries after staffers quit over vaccine mandate (KIRO7)
- 19 Governors, 2 AGs Resist Biden’s Vaccine Mandates (Epoch Times)
- Delta is Dying (City Journal)
- In Democrats’ pandemic messaging, the cruelty is the point (Washington Examiner)
One Good Read
💰 Historical wealth: How to compare Croesus and Bezos (Read)